Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 24: Back at Sea!


Location: Headed towards Shanghai

Welp, I can't believe I was just in Japan two days ago and I will be in China tomorrow. Absolutely surreal!

Japan felt like we were constantly walking through a movie set or in pictures. I bet China will feel the same! Whenever we gain an hour there are always extra people at breakfast. There’s the chunk that didn't need the extra sleep and there are those who forget to change their clocks. It has already happened to me!

With such a short amount of time in between countries and five days from the last time we had class it is hard remember what is going on in my classes. I almost forgot I had two assignments due today! That's one of the difficulties about this schedule.

Our ship "mom" wanted to have lunch today. She wanted to hear about what everyone did in Japan as well as their plans for China. A bunch of people are heading to Beijing to see the Great Wall of China. I’m spending the time in Shanghai with my “real” dad. Dad’s friends in China didn't suggest going to see the Great Wall. The Chinese New Year starts at the end of the week and some of the activities are already beginning, so they felt it will be quite chaotic and not really worth it. Plus it will be very expensive to find transportation. It’s not the best time to be here, frankly.

Before we get to each port it seems as though the crew takes their best stab at preparing a local meal. Prior to Japan we had stir-fry. Tonight we had a different kind of noodles. Don’t ask; I’m not sure. It’s just different than what we are used to...and it doesn't stare at me.

Tonight we had another pre-port. It is crazy to have pre-ports so close together! This pre-port was exceptionally long. They covered many things from Japan, health precautions, field labs and field programs occurring in China, and other logistics. They are technically combining two ports into one pre-port made this pre-port last extra-long.

1 comment: