Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 2: Orientation


Breakfast is served from 7-8:30am. If anyone knows me, I rarely am moving in time for breakfast. If I'm lucky, I "shove something in my gullet" as I'm darting out the door. Believe it or not, I made it to breakfast at 8am. Blessings! I enjoyed my French toast, potatoes, and fresh fruit. At my table were two boys from Chaplin University in Orange County, California and a male Life Long Learner. Along with barely making it to breakfast, I am not used to engaging in conversations early in in the morning, let alone being overly friendly. I prefer to be left to my own, slow, wake up process.

The activities schedule for the day were orientation sessions. We listed to health, safety, and academic sessions to learn about how ship life would be run. Much of the information we had to sit through, we already knew from the required reading of the Voyager's Handbook.

During lunchbreak I thought it would be a good opportunity to see if my dear friend Oswin, in the IT/computer lab, was available to help me with my email again. Score! It's fixed and luckily it has been working quite well since.

I took a nap in between orientation sessions. I don't know what my deal is but I have taken more naps on this ship than I think I ever have. It's probably the combination of the rocking of the ship, my room without a window, and the motion sickness medicine that have made me very sleepy.

I went to dinner with Lauren and seated at our table were two faculty members. After dinner, the ship put on an Involvement Symposium. Basically, it was a time set aside to sign up for activities put on by the ship and student life groups. I signed up for indoor soccer. I certainly cannot picture how the heck that is going to work on the ship so I'm quite intrigued. Stay tuned! Yoga. I'm hoping they have a beginner's class because Lord knows, I will need it. And, an Extended Family Program. Basically, Life Long Learners, faculty members, students, and other living on the ship sign up for the program and are assigned a "family". Each family will go to dinner together before (or after) a port. It is a way to feel more connected and have people to talk to on the ship. Wow, and they say you can't pick your family!


No comments:

Post a Comment